> Finding Your Endurance | CITY GIRL RIDES

Finding Your Endurance

11/20/2017

The world of winter health and well being is an interesting one. A plethora of Instagram images of people’s beautiful hygge candle lit homes, delicious food or a motivational quote letting me know that I can get through another winter day, it can all feel a little overwhelming when there are literally 4 months of it to go. With 2018 coming up many are already planning next years goals for marathons, triathlons, and other sportives to get through winter. Not all of us are motivated to partake in these events but setting goals for an sportive can help us all get into the right mindset in staying fit and active on our bikes this winter.
The key is finding out what works for you. What do you want to achieve? What do you enjoy? Everyone is different and that’s great. I often get asked why I sign myself up for endurance rides such as an NY Grand Fondo as though they’re hoping for my response to be, “to find inner peace and a deeper connection to my soul” or to “find my spirit animal”, “my true purpose in life” etc. Whilst that may inspire others and get them through a workout it just doesn’t resonate with me and that’s ok.
I’m simply interested in the body’s physical limits and how to push them further. How far can I stretch myself? What am I truly capable of? The fact that I'm a ‘stubborn Leo is not the reason I find myself out on my road bike, 30miles in, drenched with cold sweat and covered in mud with no signs of quitting. Even on my days off from training, you can find me and my bike out for a spin. I’m not crazy, I'm not obsessed, I’m dedicated to my body and goals.And that’s the key right, that’s the big secret to motivation. Find something you’re passionate about, that makes you feel better, stronger, happier than when you started and soon you’ll stop making excuses for not going for that ride or run. You’ll find yourself looking forward to your next session no matter how cold, early or dark it is. 
So this early 2018 year I am embarking on a few adventures that are going to test me to my very core. They’re going to test my mental and physical strength, my passion, dedication and my undeniable desire to be the best I can be. I’m going to be blogging my process and hoping to inspire those of you out there who say ‘oh, I couldn’t possibly do that’ and put yourself down before you’ve given yourself the opportunity to stand up. It’s all mind over matter.
The fact is, you can do anything you want to do, you just have to be willing to work for it. Yes, I'm all for some #mondaymotivation on social media but to achieve that goal you need to put the phone down and go get your sweat on. Do what ever ignites a fire in your stomach and puts a smile on your face. So here’s to winter goals that they scare you a lot but excite you even more. Goals that you have to grow in order to achieve them! What are yours? Here are mine:
A New Year A New You Half Marathon Santa Monica
Rapha Women's Ride: Braver Than The Elements Los Angeles
Campanolo GFNY World Championship 2018 New York
My hope is to show you that anything is possible, even in the harsh winter. You don't need to be a pro athlete, you don't need to be a super hero. Just you as you are. You are enough.

Follow On Instagram

© CITY GIRL RIDES. Design by FCD.