> Book Review: The Girl's Bicycle Handbook | CITY GIRL RIDES

Book Review: The Girl's Bicycle Handbook

5/07/2014

I've been long awaiting for this book to land onto my doorstep and when it did, I was ecstatic! Just over a year ago, writer and Cyclechic enterprenuer Caz Nicklin asked me if I would like to be interviewed for her recently released book,  The Girls' Bicycle Handbook. I've known Caz for a few years now from her blog, shop and had considered her a mentor of all things cycle chic so of course my support to her was head over wheels and accepted. We officially meet at the SF Bike Expo in 2010 where I commented on her gorgeous scarf to begin a conversation that would follow to becoming internet friends with a like minded goal of giving tools to inspire women to live life on two wheels.
When I first found Caz, I stumbled on her blog London Cycle Chic many years ago, a blog who's mission is to promote cycling as a desirable lifestyle choice and encourage more women to take to 2 wheels while being fashionable. Shortly after, she started her business Cyclechic, where she sold cute bicycle accessories for the stylish cyclista. This book is sort of a journey of her years of experiencing cycling as a woman looking for the cutest gear, finding practical ways to cycle in a dress, fix a flat, and learning how to deal with helmet hair.

The book starts from the basics of cycling to riding in style. It touches on everything one needs to know to get riding from choosing a bike, saftey, knowing your components, bike accessories, fitting a helmet, riding in the winter, and commuting to work. It's filled with so much knowledge that is explained simply and beautifully with illustrations and pictures taken by Caz and contributors from various blogs and businesses. One can cover the entire book from front to back wanting more inspiration out of a page that is both beautiful and practical to use. There really isn't ever a dull moment! 

Here is just a little excerpt covering what you need to know about accessorizing your ride.
Since I'm pretty familiar with how the English spell, write, and term certain phrases (Oy! I was an English major and date an English man!), I knew editors tried hard to make the book easy for American English speakers to translate and I was very sensitive to that. Every now and then I would find a phrase or term like "tube" meaning train, "indicators" meaning car signals, and "rubbish" meaning garbage or crap, I knew this was very English and was tickled by it because it's not everyday American English and that's okay, we can use a little slang education! That aside, I enjoyed the simplicity and visuals of the writing style as the messages were clear.
One thing I absolutely loved most about his book is the collaboration Caz took with having bloggers and business owners contributing a profile to this gem. See up there, there's a group of us from SF being represented!! It's filled with some new and some familiar faces. I learned a whole lot more about these women who love their bicycles and have since followed them. If there is one thing that I have always known Caz for, is her openness to community with others. This book shows how passionate she is to sharing knowledge with women and how we can all learn something new from each other.

In all, the book collects everything a woman needs to know about practical cycling and serves as a great guide to everything you need to know about enjoying your bike and cycling in style. I've read many books about cycling, albeit very sporty, but this is especially dedicated to women who just want to live everyday on a bicycle.

Thanks Caz for allowing me to be a part of this project and giving us a great book to share and inspire others with!
Unknown said...

The blog is absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..
Bicycle Hub

christina said...

Thank you so much EastMan Global!

Follow On Instagram

© CITY GIRL RIDES. Design by FCD.